Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Furniture Should Be Sold In Stores


So here it is! FINALLY!
Okay I've been updating all along but let's go over the facts one more time.

Design Reasoning:
Bed: I made the bed super high because in the beginning of The Metamorphosis Kafka says that Gregor falls off the bed. In my mind I picture Gregor as a medium sized bug so a fall from a bed would be far for a bug of his size. As I have said in class I am constantly at war with myself as to how his room should look. Before he turned into a bug he had normal furniture just like everybody else, but I still can't help feeling that since he is a bug, the place where he lives would be dirty, again despite the fact that his sister cleans his room. To convey the dirtiest I sensed I made the pillow a splotchy brown and the blanket an ugly mold-like looking black.

Drawers: I originally had the draws horizontal on the ground because it reminded me of bugs also being low to the ground, but after more consideration it felt better upright to match the height of the bed. Besides since Gregor is a bug everything would have looked bigger/taller to him from the ground.

Bug: Even though Kafka doesn't say what type of bug Gregor is, I always pictured him as a cockroach. I found instructions online how to make a origami cicada and then added legs. I left Gregor's legs a little soft because in the beginning he couldn't figure out how to use them and support himself. Also when flipped over the remaining paper tabs leave a cool breastplate looking piece that I felt really tied in the bug theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment